[sane-devel] SANE 1.1.0 Release discussion

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon May 5 20:30:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Alessandro Zummo
<azummo-lists at towertech.it> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 May 2008 13:56:58 -0400
>  "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > 2. Consistent well known-options, button handling and papersize come
>  > to mind. others?
>
>   when I wrote epson2 i removed the paper size support that was in epson.
>   I believe the paper size is something better suited for a frontend.
>
>   opinions?

I include it based on long discussion i had with E. Bersac about adf
machines and how to properly align the x/y coordinates when using
paper that is narrower than the maximum. For instance, i have seen
scanners that have only a single paper guide, and move narrow pages to
the left instead of center. there is no way for the frontend to know
this, so the backend should account for it, but it will need to know
the paper size.

>  > 4. More SANE_FRAME types, jpeg, fax, IR, text, xml.
>
>   shall xml be a free type or shall we define its tags?

I dont know. that is why i originally left it out of 1.1.0, until some
upstart came along and forced my hand :) seriously, i think we should
leave it undefined for now, and wait until we have some examples.

allan