[sane-devel] [RFC] SANE 1.1.0 Remove linux kernel scanner.o support

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu May 8 23:55:12 UTC 2008

Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> writes:

> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Now that distros have gotten udev under control, and users are
>> learning to modify it, we have seen cases where a person made their
>> scanner show up as /dev/scanner. This causes sanei_usb to try and talk
>> to it like it uses the old kernel scanner module. how about we remove
>> that code finally?
>
> It's well past time. 2.6.3 is no longer history, it's archeology
> now... :)

Hmm, just having read those comments about portability and old, never
updated systems, I find this a bit contradictory.  I'm personally all
in favour to dump scanner.o support but what about those poor embedded
system developers that have to get something to work on, say, RH 7.1?

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                   FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/