[sane-devel] Double-free following scan on ubuntu hardy 8.04 with epjitsu fi-60f

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 20:56:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:20:04 +0100, Chris Lale wrote:
> Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 21:01:08 -0400, m. allan noah wrote:
>>
>>> well, i've just committed a patch to fix this, but please test, as i
>>> never saw the error message in the first place...
>>
>> Does anyone have a good procedure for patching and rebuilding
>> released ubuntu .debs to test upstream changes? Or a way to build new debs
>> from sane snapshots at a particular revision? The originally reported
>> platform (Ubuntu) is not my familiar source-based system (Gentoo).
>>

> This is how you could do it in Debian [1].
>
> Basic method for a package "somepackage" version "0.7.1-1" is as follows. (This
> does not change the version number, but that is explained in the documentation.):
>
> 0.
> Get the source package.
>
> 1. put
> somepackage_0.7.1-1.diff.gz
> somepackage_0.7.1.orig.tar.gz
> somepackage_0.7.1-1.dsc
> in a directory.
>
> 2.  Run
> dpkg-source -x somepackage_0.7.1-1.dsc to recreate build directory.
>
> 3. cd to
> somepackage-0.7.1
> Do what you need.
>
> 4. Run
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
> Completes with message
> dpkg-buildpackage: full upload (original source is included)
>
> 5. Run checks:
> lintian somepackage_0.7.1-1_i386.changes
> and
> linda somepackage_0.7.1-1_i386.changes
> Both should complete with no errors reported.
>
> debc somepackage_0.7.1-1_i386.changes | less
> On inspection, files contained in package should look OK.
>
> # debi somepackage_0.7.1-1_i386.changes
> should install package OK.
>
> # dpkg --purge somepackage
> removes package.
>

> [1] http://www.us.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> --
> Chris.

I've tried the above procedure several times over the past weeks, and I
can't get it right. The ubuntu sane-backends package is missing the
.changes files, etc.

Also, I'm missing the punchline of the procedure, I want to make a new
.deb that I can dpkg install on any number of machines, report upstream
that the patches help.

I'd like to do the hardware testing on the patch, since it's a relatively
uncommon scanner, and the patch seems like it will make this hardware
usable on Ubuntu.

Can anyone with ubuntu-flavored dpkg-fu either list a working procedure,
or post a deb with the patches integrated? Any info would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff