[sane-devel] SANE 1.1.0 Release discussion

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 12:19:35 UTC 2008

On 5/26/08, René Rebe <rene at exactcode.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  some scanners even have simplex / duplex buttons or even fine grained
>  to up/down arrows to setup resolution, color mode etc. (i.g. the
>  popular HP 7400).

right- but what is the frontend going to do with that, read the user's
setting, then turn the data back around and set the resolution and
duplex options? it seems that would be better done in the backend
itself.

>  In the Avision backend I know use a string option to spit out
>  a message the program can parse.
>
>  Going with the current trend, maybe a xml string should be used
>  to describe whatever is setup on the device?

i see no point in this, however, it does point to an interesting
problem. all these buttons are now semantically named, so you wont be
able to have one called 'resolution', since you already have an option
with that name. should we prefix these with 'button-' or some such?

allan