[sane-devel] Epson Perfection V200 Photo

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Nov 4 02:10:11 UTC 2008

Torquil Macdonald Sørensen <torquil at gmail.com> writes:

> Ok, thanks. And I guess the "sane-find-scanner" just tries to identify
> any scanner connected to the system, regardless of sane supporting it or
> not.

You guessed correctly.

> Then I will try some more to get the 32-bit iscan program working on the
> 64-bit computer with 64-bit ubuntu. I'd rather not have to install a
> separate chroot'ed 32-bit OS.

You can either use the chroot'ed approach you mention or set up a
mixed 32/64-bit environment.

Note that iscan-2.12.0 adds 64-bit support but in the source code
package only.  You will have to build your own binaries, but that
should be as simple as

  dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -b

However, the Epson Perfection V200 Photo requires a DFSG non-free
binary-only interpreter plugin which is not yet available for 64-bit
architectures :-(

> m. allan noah wrote:
>> There is no backend in cvs for this machine. If you cannot get
>> satisfaction from the epkowa software, perhaps you could offer a
>> bounty or hardware for reverse engineering?

That, or wait until our 64-bit packages come out of the QA pipeline.

>> allan
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Torquil Macdonald Sørensen
>> <torquil at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I have a 64bit computer with Ubuntu 8.04 on it, and I'm trying to get an
>>> Epson Perfection V200 Photo to work.
>>>
>>> Could I ask what the significance is of why sane-find-scanner finds my
>>> scanner, but not scanimage -L ?
>>>
>>> libsane-extras in installed, and this is ubuntu 8.04. I have tried
>>> various methods, e.g. installing the iscan* packages from avansys, by
>>> using the --force-architecture option on the dpkg command, after having
>>> converted the rpm's to debs.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962