[sane-devel] Can't seem to find config files

Igor G Novikov septagramm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 17:28:55 UTC 2008

Hello.

I've got Mustek BearPaw 2448 CU Pro scanner, and even though it's not
yet supported, i wanted to give it a go. If i get it right, backend for
this scanner or its chip already exists, but it's untested or
something.. Anyway, it can only work from unstable version, so i removed
my package sane-backends, and compiled sane from sources - the ones
dated 2008-11-04.

Compile and installation went fine, but my scanner is still not
detected. I suppose i need to tell sane via its configuration file to
autodetect my scanner, and to tell it where to look for actual backend,
which i got from http://meier-geinitz.de/sane/gt68xx-backend/.

But here's the problem: i can't find any of sane configuration files.
When i used sane from package, configuration files were in /etc/sane.d.
As i reinstalled sane from sources, they are just gone. So please help
me find them and i'll do my best to make this device work.

Here's some output i'm getting from sane:

[silence at localhost ~]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.26.6-79.fc9.i686 #1 SMP Fri Oct 17
14:52:14 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[silence at localhost ~]$ /usr/local/bin/sane-find-scanner

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x055f [Hewlett-Packard.        ],
product=0x0408 [USB2.0 Scanner            ], chip=SQ113) at
libusb:001:002
found USB scanner (vendor=0x16d5, product=0x6501) at libusb:004:003
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once
you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.
[silence at localhost ~]$ /usr/local/bin/scanimage -L

[silence at localhost ~]$

P.S. It looks to me like sane can see two scanners instead of one which
is actually connected. I wonder why is that and which one of those two
is correct one?
                                                                     --
                                   Igor G Novikov <septagramm at gmail.com>