[sane-devel] Sane Release 1.1.0 ?

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Thu Nov 6 16:12:00 UTC 2008

"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please, describe for us how adding a new function to v2 backends is
> going to make it easier for v1 and v2 backends to be installed at the
> same time.

Tweaks to dll are needed in both cases. Except in your case you're
again trying to take an easy route that will only end with more
problems.

I'm tired arguing, really. If you want to break everything, then fine,
go ahead and we'll see how that goes. Now if you pause for a minute or
two and review that carefully, you'll see it's wrong.

There's no problem with being wrong, there's only a problem if you
can't accept that and fix it. Sorry if that seems blunt.

Both you and Stef primarily care about your backends, it seems. You do
give some consideration around that and Stef very clearly doesn't. But
both of you are ignoring the SANE ecosystem, not taking it into
account and not even trying to see how the changes propagate into that
ecosystem, with problems, side-effects and all for users,
third-parties, distributors, etc.

I clearly see the amount of work that will be involved to deal with
this crappy "warming up" change, and I don't want to go there. It's
just not worth it to spend that amount of time for a very, very little
gain.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>