[sane-devel] Sane Release 1.1.0 ?

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Thu Nov 6 19:35:23 UTC 2008

"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> As long as older frontends don't have to care about running with a
>> newer lib, there's no reason to bump the major.
>
> 10 mails ago you chewed me out for not thinking about the ecosystem,
> and now you mean to ignore half of it?

WTF??? I say older frontends don't have to care whether they're
running with a 1.0 or 1.1 lib and I'm ignoring something?

>> nowadays. We deal with that in GTK and other libs all the time,
>> everybody knows how it works and how to work with that. Not to mention
>> glibc :)
>
> ok, then how do they do it?

Adding symbols, and that's it. Symbol versioning is used by the glibc
and also GTK now, but that's icing on the cake for what we're
discussing here (and given our platform support, I'm not even sure
symbol versioning is supported everywhere anyway).

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb at jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169