[sane-devel] Migrate from CVS to SVN or DVCS?

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 18:08:43 UTC 2008

Is there any interest in migrating SANE's CVS to a newer revision control
system?

Subversion would be an improvement for its repository-wide revision
numbers.

A DVCS such as git would be even more interesting, given the apparent
number of people who could contribute code and/or scanner test data.

I became interested in this when planning to make a CVS snapshot package
to use some of our scanner hardware. I realized I didn't know offhand how
to refer to a particular revision of the whole tree with CVS.

With DVCS, maintainers could pull from anyone's repository which
contains useful changesets, and perhaps the newer RCS systems'
export features would make incremental releases easier.