[sane-devel] Perl Bindings

abel deuring adeuring at gmx.net
Tue Sep 2 10:52:19 UTC 2008

On 02.09.2008 07:25, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
> 2008/9/1 abel deuring <adeuring at gmx.net>:
>> The test backend is a invaluably useful tool for testing: You get more
>> or less any sort of device options; you can see if your bindings
>> properly handle things like enabling/disabling of options, if you get
>> the type conversion between Sane and Perl data types properly done etc etc.
>>
>> You even get perfectly reproducible, noise free, scan data :)
>
> Excellent. I'll use that.
>
>> Additional tests with real-world devices are also useful, because the
>
> Sure, but I can only test it with mine :-)

Of course -- nobody expects that you'll be able to test your code with
ten different scanners :)

> Is there a good reason why pkg-config files aren't built with SANE?
> The lack of them make dependency checking difficult before build-time.

I think nobody yet bothered about that.

> If I work up a patch to add them is it likely to be accepted?

I would not mind seeing Perl bindings included. But other Sane folks
should give their opinion too. I could imagine that CPAN might be a
better place for the bindings, since Perl developers might look for Perl
modules there, I'd guess. (disclaimer: I am not a Perl developer, so I
can't claim to have any real clue where/how to search for Perl modules...)

Abel