[sane-devel] udev rules question for hp-psc2355

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Wed Sep 10 19:50:33 UTC 2008

I have been using saned for networking scanners on slackware for 3 or so years
with hpoj and a hp-psc2355 but recently upgraded the server box to slack-12.1 and
decided to not use hpoj as its a bit old.

I set up as usually with permissions, /etc/services, /etc/inetd.conf
and /etc/sane.d config files on both server and clients. I could scan as a user
in an ssh session on the server but could not do so as client.

I finally figured out that the permissions being set up were defined
in /etc/udev/rules.d/55-hpumd.rules and not in 80-libsane.rules. The device
belonged to root:lp and in order to allow users to scan I had to change
permissions from 0664 to 0666 in the rule. I suppose the alternative would be to
make the users members of lp but I've never heard of users being members of lp
before.

What is correct in this situation?

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Movement stopped is no movement,
and rest set in motion is no rest.

Written on Prickle-Prickle, the 35th of Bureaucracy, 3174
http://turtlespond.net