[sane-devel] New backend for a not yet exisiting device

Torsten Wagner torsten.wagner at fh-aachen.de
Mon Sep 15 15:22:52 UTC 2008

Dear Dev-Team,

first of all I'm a complete newbie in terms of scanners resp. the development
of sane. I hope you can help me a bit to sort out some questions.

Background: We are going to develop a new kind of scientific measurement
device which acts similar to a scanner.  Our measurements are latterly
resolved e.g. we can create a pixel by pixel map whereas the measurement
signal might be represented by a colour. This is, so fare well known already
for similar devices already (Actually, it is not different to a normal
scanner). Our reading unit can read line by line and thus we are thinking to
use the mechanical set-up of a normal scanner to acquire a complete picture.

Idea: For sure, it would be perfect, if we can address this type of new
scanner in the same way like a normal scanner. E.g. by TWAIN-Protocol or by
SANE. This guarantees to capture measurements many kind of different
software.

Problem: I have totally no idea how the communication between a scanner and
the computer works. I read about intelligent scanners which just get commands
like "scan with 600dpi one A4 page" and about dumb scanners which requires
commands like "turn on stepper motor for next line, scan line, etc."

Is there any information available which might help me to identify which basic
scanner set-up might be the best for our purpose. I guess the dumb version
gives us access to lower level functions which we might need ?Any kind of
this hacks known already ?

Does somebody know a scanner brand or a specific model which is easy hackable
for our purpose. Is there one out with full open/known programming interface
or does this require always a reverse engineering of all the different
commands ? Is there a sane-dev favourite scanner due to the easiness of use
and addressing ? A USB-model might be preferable but a LPT-based model might
be easier to access ?!

I appreciate any kind of information and help.

Best regards

Totti