[sane-devel] New backend for a not yet exisiting device

Torsten Wagner torsten.wagner at fh-aachen.de
Tue Sep 16 10:26:56 UTC 2008

Dear Allan,
thanks for your answer.

> there is nothing standard about any of these protocols except maybe
> the ones based on SCSI could be called a 'half-standard'

O.k., I see

>  Which manufacture
> > provides most information? And which one welcomes projects like
> this (resp.
> > opensource in general) without let the dogs resp. lawyers out.
>
> most of the chip makers who would give you specs dont make a twain
> driver for you to 'repurpose'. i find it funny to think that you would
> write code to use an fpga to emulate a machine, just to avoid writing
> some code :)

For sure I can (try to) write a backend for our special needs. I just thought if there is an emulation of a specific IC I can "install" the device either by the original TWAIN drivers or by the already exisiting sane backend. I thought this might make it more flexible. I can caputer measurements e.g. by all programs which offers twain resp. sane support.

> ask yourself seriously, is anyone ever going to want to 'aquire' a
> TWAIN image from this thing to insert into a document or something?
> most labs i have ever worked with moved files around on a flash drive
> to achieve the same effect.

The scanner will have the same size as an original one and we like to demonstrate the easieness of usage as a "standard" benchtop device even outside of laboratory environments.  Thus, the idea to create a device which acts like  a normal scanner.

Best regards,

Torsten