[sane-devel] recommendation needed

Louis Lagendijk louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 30 19:15:50 UTC 2008

hi,
I am looking for some recommendation on the following:

Canon uses a proprietary protocol for communication to it's networked
multi-functional devices, called bjnp (ports 8611 - 8614) where port
8612 (UDP and TCP) is used for scanning. I have done some reverse
engineering based on a packet dump from the Windows drivers and
developed a protocol implementation for the pixma backend. The protocol
pretty much carries the usb packets over IP.

I have two options for releasing the code in Sane:
1) as a new sanei option.
2) as part of the Pixma backend

I am looking for recommendations from the community for what is the
preferred option. On one hand one could argue that it should be part of
the pixma backend as the protocol is Canon specific.

The protocol number have however been officially allocated by IANA, so
one could argue that moving it to sanei is the way to go.

So far, I have modelled the interface after the sanei USB interface,
where I replaced the usb in the names by bjnp.

So my question:
What is the preferred way forward: include as part of the pixma backend
or as part of sanei?

best regards, Louis