[sane-devel] [Fwd: Re: recommendation needed]

Louis Lagendijk louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 30 20:00:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 15:42 -0400, m. allan noah wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Louis Lagendijk
> <louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 15:20 -0400, m. allan noah wrote:
> >> is the existing sanei_udp code of any use to your driver?
> >>
> > I started off re-using the code I wrote for the CUPS bjnp backend. I am
> > considering re-writing the code to re-use sanei_udp and sanei_tcp code,
> > but a lot of the code is about message formatting and parsing. Re-use
> > will help in porting to other platforms (I am on x86_64 Linux).
> >

> It remains to be seen that any other backends will ever use it, so i
> would be inclined to keep as much of it with the backend as possible.
> using the existing sanei_usb and sanei_tcp would be good if you can,
> but not a requirement.
>
> N. Martin should weigh in at this point.
It was Nicolas that recommended I ask the question on the list as he was
not sure what the preferred route would be. It was actually him that
brought up the argument of the IANA allocation :-). I would tend to
agree with your argument that it is not very likely that any other
backend will ever use the protocol implementation.

> allan
>
> ps- how about joining the list so we dont have to keep approving your mails :)
I AM subscribed to the list and get all mails. I just tried to
re-subscribe and received a Mailman privacy alert. It looks as if I am
subscribed in read-only mode :-(

Louis