[sane-devel] Xerox Documate 510 Backend

Rene Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Wed Apr 8 09:54:00 UTC 2009

On 08.04.2009, at 11:31, Julien BLACHE wrote:

> Rene Rebe <rene at exactcode.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> There are 2 7400 flavors and I think booth do work. The other mail on
>> the
>> list today apparently also boils down to "the linux usb subsystem got
>> confused", so?
>
> Yeah for that one, but I've got other reports. Need to get back at
> that now that you're back.

That for one? You count random kernel glitches as backend issues, ...

>> Also the hp 5300 bug in the last release was just because CVS merged
>> some stuff very defectively which I did not spotted immediately due
>> the very unreadable diff, leaving a variable uninitialized and thus
>> some calibration methods to segfault, ... was not a big deal to fix
>> and is already in CVS for ages.
>
> It did not fix all the issues that were reported, IIRC. Need to get
> back at that, too.

Btw. forgot to mention in the first mail: there are about 3 flavors of
the 5300. I got 2 and booth do work. There is another strange
flavor that never worked and I do not have. As the product label
is the same you can not differentiate them until you hook them
up (the hp 5300 vs 5370 does not help heither, all three flavors
from with those labels, the 70 only meant transparency adapter
included in the package).

>>> There's an issue tracker on Alioth; if it's not good enough for you,
>>> you're free to set something else up but you'll have to maintain it.
>>
>> Yeah, like setting up an SVN one? That's no problem I can donate
>> SVN space at http://svn.exactcode.de
>
> We were talking bug tracking systems, now you're talking SCMs. Uh?

I talked booth from the beginning.

> And with your SVN I'd worry about the entire SANE SVN going byebye
> overnight like the avision SVN did...

It's in the sane CVS, what do you complain?

>> I still think split backend packages like X.org and printer drivers
>> (for CUPS) are the way to go and increase efficiency and fun.
>
> I think a backend is too small to be standalone. X drivers are a bit
> bigger than our backends I believe.

Many X drivers are also tiny, mouse, keyboard avdev, but also
stuff like old cyrix etc. drivers (or vesa for that matter).

Given the insane situation here for some years, now - and most
historic SANE people already being annoyed into moving elsewhere,
I'll start maintaining the sane avision backend as a seperate package
in the future to save my nerves, thanks.