[sane-devel] Optrox Photomaker 3F - writing a backend

Ondrej Zary linux at rainbow-software.org
Mon Aug 17 12:24:31 UTC 2009

Hello,
my attempt to reverse engineer Optrox Photomaker 3F scanner with proprietary
ISA card produced some results: I can now (almost) scan a preview.

If anyone is interested in details, here are some files (some command
analysis, partial scanner schematic, some program, empty SANE backend):
http://www.rainbow-software.org/linux_files/optrox/

I started writing a SANE backend. But the problem is that I need root
privileges to access the scanner - the ISA card is accessed through I/O ports
0x340-0x34F. Is there a "correct" (or recommended) way to do this in SANE?

I found that mustek backend supports one scanner with proprietary card. The
manpage recommends accessing the backend through saned. This is certainly not
very user friendly.

Another way is to create a separate suid root scanning program. The backend
will do all scanner access through this program. But this way, the backend
will be not a real backend - could it be included into SANE?

--
Ondrej Zary