[sane-devel] Kubuntu/Epson Perfection 3490 not working: help or a pointer to help?

PK djc at resiak.org
Tue Aug 18 13:28:54 UTC 2009

I'm trying to get scanning working (Kubuntu 9.04, Epson Perfection 3490,
relevant SANE packages installed), but I'm getting nowhere and I feel
stuck.  I'm new to Linux.

1. scanimage -L finds "snapscan:libusb:001:003" and identifies it as an
    Epson flatbed scanner.

2. sane-find-scanner finds it, and its vendor and product IDs, at
    libusb:001:003.

3. kdesudo xsane fails: no firmware entry found.

4. At this point I commented out the top firmware line in snapscan.conf.

5. To check permissions on scanner devices, I looked at /dev/usb/scan*,
    but there are no such devices.

6. kdesudo xsane now fails with "Invalid argument", once again finding no
    firmware entry.

Now I don't know where to turn.  Permissions?  Which?  Should I be looking
for firmware?  Which firmward?  (I checked the Windows driver download from
Epson, and it appears to contain no firmware for the Perfection 3490, but
perhaps for two other models).

Can you suggest how to proceed?

Pete