[sane-devel] Kubuntu/Epson Perfection 3490 not working: help or a pointer to help?

Aribert Deckers rodnay at ariplex.com
Tue Aug 18 17:55:47 UTC 2009

On Tue, August 18, 2009 3:28 pm, PK wrote:
> I'm trying to get scanning working (Kubuntu 9.04, Epson Perfection 3490,
> relevant SANE packages installed), but I'm getting nowhere and I feel
> stuck.  I'm new to Linux.

Hi,
there are some other scan programs. In the SuSE package you will find some
drivers etc for Epson scanners. Perhaps the Ubuntu package also has them.

Right now I am at the wrong machine, so I can't look at the details.

Be careful about 3490 and 3490 PHOTO. There seem to be some differences in
the drives, but I have no idea what they are.

When scanning from Linux I find it very disappointing to have so few
resolutions. This is why I chose to scan from Windows, using the driving
supplied by Epson. Perhaps you can install a Windows system in a virtual
machine and use that for scanning. For some tasks this is the only working
solution I could find so far.