[sane-devel] Newb for Canon 4400F

Andreas Robinson andr345 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 15:55:47 UTC 2009

Hi,

Wed Jul 22 00:05:53 UTC 2009, JayV wrote:

> I just joined this group after finding out that Canon (still) does not
> have a linux driver for my 4400F flatbed scanner.  It works
> fine under Windows XP in vmware but I want to write a
> driver for linux.

Have you made any headway on this project and would you be interested in
a collaboration?

I'm basically in the same boat; Canoscan 4400F owner, driver needed,
just joined the mailing list.

I am at the point where I have opened up my scanner to read the markings
on the ICs, set up a VirtualBox VM running Windows and written a few
tools to parse the traffic. The next step is to see how the windows
driver uses the scanner.

Btw, this info could go on the Canoscan 4400F page:

Controller: Genesys GL843
Frontend: Wolfson 8196
Memory: ESMT M12L16161A (512K x 16 bit x 2 SDRAM)
Motor driver: AMtek AMM56219

And here are the tools I wrote:

http://github.com/andr345/usbtools/tree/master
(see the README)