[sane-devel] Kubuntu/Epson Perfection 3490 not working: help or a pointer to help?

PK djc at resiak.org
Wed Aug 19 15:42:44 UTC 2009

Thanks for the help.  Simon Matter pointed me to the crucial element, which
was on a page I overlooked in my travels through Google: the scanner needs
a firmware load.  I extracted the firmware

     esfw52.bin

from the Windows software package epson11693.exe to a place under
/usr/local, modified

     /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf

to point to it, cycled power on the scanner, and it now works.

Now bravely onward to printing (printer detected, but doesn't actually
print) and audio (no audio present on the jacks).  But those aren't for
this list.

Pete