[sane-devel] Optrox Photomaker 3F - writing a backend

stef stef.dev at free.fr
Sun Aug 23 05:49:41 UTC 2009

Le lundi 17 août 2009 14:24:31 Ondrej Zary, vous avez écrit :
> Hello,
> my attempt to reverse engineer Optrox Photomaker 3F scanner with
> proprietary ISA card produced some results: I can now (almost) scan a
> preview.
>
> If anyone is interested in details, here are some files (some command
> analysis, partial scanner schematic, some program, empty SANE backend):
> http://www.rainbow-software.org/linux_files/optrox/
>

> I started writing a SANE backend. But the problem is that I need root
> privileges to access the scanner - the ISA card is accessed through I/O
> ports 0x340-0x34F. Is there a "correct" (or recommended) way to do this in
> SANE?
>
> I found that mustek backend supports one scanner with proprietary card. The
> manpage recommends accessing the backend through saned. This is certainly
> not very user friendly.
>
> Another way is to create a separate suid root scanning program. The backend
> will do all scanner access through this program. But this way, the backend
> will be not a real backend - could it be included into SANE?

	Hello,

	there is already a few backend doing direct hardware access such as the
umax_pp and plustek-pp, you also have sanei_pp.c  functions to access a port.
In direct hardware access mode, the umax_pp needs the frontend to be run as
root. You may lessen the risks by using 'sudo' to restrict the use of the
frontend in this situation.
	Giving proper access rights to saned, the use the backend through it, is
considered much safer.

Regards,
	Stef