[sane-devel] Canon PIXMA 990 sane support

Nicolas Martin nicolas0martin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 21:13:24 UTC 2009

Le jeudi 03 décembre 2009 à 13:33 +0100, Jean-Michel Pouré a écrit :
> On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 16:39 +0100, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
> > Please leave me some time before I can turn back to you to
> > garantee it works.
>
> I am getting back with more information.
> The Canon PIXMA 990 is almost working:
>
> * Sane GIT can scan from root account, but not user account (even with
> scanner group). Can it be fixed using a libsane udev rule. I modified
> mode to be 0666 without success:
>
> ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1740", MODE="0666",
> GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

Did you try also the suggestion posted here, for adding udev rules:
http://mp610.blogspot.com/2008/04/give-your-scanner-new-freshly-sane.html?showComment=1243552857061#c8607048340853577523

Remember you need to restart udev to have the new rules taken into
account.

> * Network and USB scanning works.

Good news!

> * The resulting image has a color problem. The color layers are not in
> sync, thus providing a "blur" effect.
>
> Let's consider a color point. After scan, this point is displayed as
> three points (one for each color).
>
> Any idea? Thanks for your help.

Yes. This is a very common behavior for all Canon Pixma with a CCD
sensor (MP960, MP970, MP980, and now... MP990)

This should be very easy to fix with a tweak in the pixma backend.

Using Xsane or scanimage, could you scan a **small** zone with contrast
(so that the shifted color planes show easily) at various dpi, starting
from 75dpi up to max dpi,
save the images as pnm, zip the whole thing and send it back, so that I
can analyse and set the correction values in the pixma backend.

Nicolas