[sane-devel] iscan permission problem ?

Alesh Slovak alesh.slovak at avasys.jp
Mon Dec 7 00:32:38 UTC 2009

Wierdl Máté wrote:
> Correspondingly, I cannot scan as regular user, but I can as root. When
> I start iscan, I get "Could not send command to scanner" in a popup, and
> the terminal where I started iscan from shows
After looking at the files you sent me, I think I know what the problem is. Upon
installation, iscan looks for the libsane udev rules under /etc and /lib, if it
finds multiple rules, it picks one and generates its own rules based on that. It
seems that iscan picked up your custom udev rules file instead of the system one
and the resulting file is not working correctly.

To work around this problem, first temporarily move your custom libsane udev
rules file somewhere outside of /etc/udev and uninstall iscan. Make sure that
the iscan rules file you had under /etc/udev has been deleted as part of the
uninstall process. Finally, install iscan again, it should now pick up the
libsane udev rules file under /lib/udev, and generate its own rules from that in
the same location.

Until we can fix this, when upgrading you will need to follow the same process
as the rules file is regenerated from scratch every time you install.

Let me know if this works for you.

Happy scanning,
--
Alesh Slovak                    Linux Team -- AVASYS Corporation
alesh.slovak at avasys.jp          http://avasys.jp