[sane-devel] Canon PIXMA MX330 working, with -x auto and -y auto bug; data here

qm at sonic.net qm at sonic.net
Thu Dec 10 00:05:40 UTC 2009

> So let me know if I understand clearly:
>
> - MX330 works with the pixma backend. It was not yet declared in Sane
> 1.0.20, but is declared in Sane git for a while now, with the proper usb
> pid. If you install Sane git, MX330 should work out of the box.
> No issue for MX330 on that side, I'll update the docs and supported
> devices list for MX330.

I wondered about that.  I didn't see git.  Sorry, and yes, that is good.

> - There's an error with scanimage/pixma backend when setting explicitly
> -x or -y options to "auto". This is the same for all pixma devices, so
> probably something the pixma backend rejects for now, and that needs to
> be checked.

Yes, but as has been discussed already by now, we're not sure if those
features are actually supported, and some seem to be sure they are not.
The confusion comes in because the Microsoft XP MX330-packaged scanning
software does do autodetect of a sort (when you specify "picture", it
takes all picture-looking things and makes a seperate cropped file for
each, and does a pretty darn good job of it without cutting too much or
too little), so presumably that's software driven by the program in the
computer, not in the scanner/multifunction device.

> Is there any other point I would have missed ?

No, apparently the documentation was more outdated than git, so we're good
once that's done.  If I had known this existed back in the summer, I would
have had many more months of not having to run VMWARE with XP in it,
crashing my computer so much ...