[sane-devel] searching for business card scanner compatible with sane

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Sun Dec 20 20:51:07 UTC 2009

m. allan noah wrote, on 06-11-09 19:51:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Jelle de Jong <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> wrote:
>> Hi Allan,
>>
>> m. allan noah wrote:
>>> I have not seen any business card scanners with a 50 card input tray.
>>> In fact, most card sized scanners are single sheet simplex. You might
>>> have to move up to something like an A6 or A4 sized scanner to get
>>> multi-page duplex.
>> You are right. I think 50 page business card (250 g/m2) are a bit to
>> much to ask, but but an ADF for 10 times A8 (74 в 52 mm) (250 g/m2)
>> business cards would be nice.
>>
>> I also did some searching, and found that even the most sick priced
>>> 3000 euro scanners that do scan A8 (business card) sized media do not
>> indicate that they are capable of scanning 250 g/m2 paper... So this
>> seems to be an useless parameter to select a new scanner on...?
>
> most desktop and larger scanners can handle the heavy paper.
>
>> Last year I replaced my standalone HP ScanJet 6300c ADF scanner (support
>> broke with a new sane version) with a new HP Officejet J5780
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3301296
>>
>> This printer with ADF only cost 130 euro and scans very nice. I did have
>> regression issues (HP messed up there code) with the network saned
>> server systems. But support of Julien BLACHE has been really good so now
>> I got a very usefull scanner setup togheter with my pct-scanner-scripts
>> available in Debian. I manage a few hundred scans per week, duplex is
>> not really needed, I got a nice software rearrange duplex feature.
>>

>> I looked a bit further and found the following two options:
>>
>> ScanSnap S300 (between 200 and 320 euro)
>> http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/peripherals/scanners/scansnap/s300.html
>>
>> ^^^ that looks like an useful addition to my scanner setup. I want to
>> buy this one but I am so afraid I will not get the sane driver features
>> I need because of an under developed driver. Are my fears justified!?
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6619498&postcount=11
>> http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-epjitsu.5.html
>>
>> If somebody can convince me that missing features that are supported by
>> the hardware will be added to the driver then I will buy this unit...
>>
>> ScanSnap S1500 (between 420 and 496 euro)
>> http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/peripherals/scanners/scansnap/scansnap-s1500.html
>>
>> ^^^ this scanner is also an option but its lot of money. I got perfect
>> results with a 130 euro all-in-one but no A8 scan support. Would 450
>> euro be worth it? It driver seems to be developed with the availiable
>> featurs. http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-fujitsu.5.html
>
> well- i wrote both of those drivers, so i guess i am in a unique
> position to respond :)
>
> the S300 is epson-based, and uses a rather dumb protocol. It also
> requires a firmware upload, is entirely reverse engineered. It has a
> smaller paper tray and is slower than other fujitsus.

> [...]

So I got my self a brand new Fujitsun ScanSnap S1500, connected it to
my networked saned Linux server, and tried to detect it with one of my
sane capable scanadf clients.. but no joy. The other HP scanner was
still detected.

So debugging started.. :( See the email attachment.

It seems the device node for the scanner does not have the correct
group permissions set. I called this bug01, is this a known bug? Could
it be fixed in the next version of sane?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Jelle de Jong