[sane-devel] A keychain digital picture frame. (fwd)

kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu
Tue Jan 6 20:07:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, m. allan noah wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 2:42 PM,  <kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, m. allan noah wrote:
>>
>>> willing to bet the read only cdrom is just to hold the autoloader so
>>> windows will run it, and the real key is the vendor defined c1
>>> command. You will have to get logs while uploading some solid color
>>> images, and see if you can figure the image format. then a little
>>> external libusb prog to mimic that behaviour, etc.
>>
>> Something like this does seem to be potentially the most fruitful approach.
>> But boy do I hate having to fight Vista in order to make those logs :(
>
> so get an xp machine :)

Frankly, I do not enjoy the thought of that very much, either. Me and
Windows never did get along very well together, starting many years ago. I
never ran 3.0 or 3.1 back then because I was avoiding it. I tried out
Win95 for approximately one week and couldn't stand it. Believe it or not,
and I know that some of the present generation just can not believe such a
thing, I found out back then that there was such a thing as Linux and, on
installing it, kept it precisely because it was an operating system that
let *me* use the computer instead of fixing things so the computer was
using me! Well, I digress. But you provoked me ;)

>> As to image format, the manual for the device is rather explicit in saying
>> that the device wants JPEG files. So I would suppose that one of the things
>> to do is to search for header strings, and, possibly, for filenames. So far,
>> I only made one log. I have been too busy with something else.
>
> no, the SOFTWARE wants jpeg files- who knows what the device wants....

Yeah. True. At 160x120, it could even hold a fairly large number of
bitmapped images...

>> Incidentally, c1h is not mentioned in s2-r10l.pdf.
>
> yes it is- it is listed in the vendor (un-)defined list :)

It is a long document. A search turned up absolutely nothing.

Theodore Kilgore