[sane-devel] Getting the finished_scan event

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 16:19:38 UTC 2009

Dio- lets keep in on the list- more comments inline.

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 11:10 AM,  <dio.rahman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Allan for the immediate reply!
>
> Yes, I need to read that instruction deeper. Actually what I want to
> do is a quite fancy thing. I need the button daemon to detect the
> start_scan and throw up it as an event to my application. Then, after
> the scanner finished scanning a document, it will *fire* finished_scan
> event; and my application will process the image right away after the
> scanning is finished. Based on the doc, I can trap the event from what
> you have explained.

well, that depends on which front-end you will use. if you are going
to have the button daemon create a new new thread or process to run
something like `scanimage > /tmp/foo.pnm`, then you dont need to
monitor any events, you just need to notice when that thread/process
completes. now, if you want to use some other, long-running or gui
frontend, then it will know when the scan completes, because it is the
one collecting the data from the scanner.

> OOT, I have a CanonScan Lide 50 (genesys?); I used the sanebuttonsd
> for detecting the buttons; but the buttons are not detected by it. I
> think I need to snoop the USB message to get it. Any suggestions
> should be very helpful!

dunno, perhaps the genesys backend does not expose the scanner's buttons?

allan