[sane-devel] patch for sane-desc.c / new version

Dieter Jurzitza dieter.jurzitza at t-online.de
Thu Jan 8 23:58:41 UTC 2009

Hi folks,
nothing lives so long as the change does. Tonight I received a report
regarding an Epson scanner promoting itself as "processor", hence I had to
modify my patch in order to process this correctly.

All other deficiencies remained "as is". If this patch is taken for serious
as "acceptable" in any means please give me a note how to change.

It is difficult for me to write independent of a distribution because I have
one as basis for my work - and I am lacking the in-depth knowledge of why and
how changes are applied and what impact those changes do have.

Please be patient :-).

Several hints came from Julien Blanche, I wonder if it would be a prerequisite
to integrate this into the desc files someone of the more experienced could
tell me _how_ to do this exactly.

Moreover I have understood in the meantime that there is already a parser for
the .desc files in sane-desc.c, so the question would be how to create and
fill the SCSI-array (as I hardcoded in sane-desc.h) in the same way as it
happens for the USB-array. This would imply a decision how to include which
strings into the desc-files.

Starting from hp.desc it would require three additonal entries:
1.)
:processor (marking the device as processor, those are the devices that cause
issues)
2.)
:scsimfg "HP" (how is the manufacturer promoted on the SCSI bus, this may
differ from the "normal" manufacturer's name,
3.)
:scsimodel "C7670A" (how is the name promoted on the SCSI bus, this will
differ from the "normal" name as well).

When parsing the file the parser would have to test for the "processor" entry,
then write it into the array - this time not static but dynamically
allocated, the further steps could remain as they are now.

The naming convention just came to my head - nothing I would insist to use.

Thank you in advance,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)