[sane-devel] patch for sane-desc.c / support for descfiles / modifications

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Mon Jan 12 20:20:57 UTC 2009

Dieter Jurzitza <dieter.jurzitza at t-online.de> wrote:

Hi,

> The missing support for scsi-scanners generically promoting themselves
> as "scanners" is intentional. _THIS_ one should really go into the
> hal-package, it shouldn't settle within sane because - well, if you know it
> is a scanner, it's a scanner and hal ought to know what to do about it. No
> job for sane here.

The question was about sane-desc, actually. When parsing the desc
files, it seems it doesn't care about SCSI scanners not declared as
processors. That was the question :)

As for the HAL support, I fully concur with the above.

> In contrast, players that hide their devices behind strange
> names "processor" - this could be a dryer, a washing machine as well, isn't

I think there are historical reasons for the processor vs. scanner
device type :)

> So, here we go. I did a little more fine-tuning with regard to the printout of
> the hal-entries and will end up with a patch based on today's dayly snapshot
> when I'll be done.

OK.

JB.

--