[sane-devel] sane runs in windows without cygwin

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 17:06:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Ilia Sotnikov <hostcc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 6:24 PM, m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Understood. How complex do you feel your changes were to get the
>> sane-backends side working? Reasonable to #ifdef into mainline?
>
> Not really complex but would take some time because the abovementioned
> repository based on post-1.0.18 SANE backends. As well as merging
> Michael's work. As far as I know further porting of the backends
> should be straightforward (at least for USB based ones). What makes
> the troubles is the fork() absense. One possibility to check all the
> backends to be thread safe and use threads instead. Then even saned
> could be ported.
>
> I would make the branch in the main repository, commit all changes
> there, verify the result and then finally merge it with HEAD.
>
> Any thougths?

There has been some discussion of moving to some other SCM lately, so
any branching might want to wait for that, but certainly you could try
to apply your changes to a current cvs checkout, and at least produce
a patch?

Most backends should be using sanei_thread, so it is possible to build
them with pthread support instead of fork, so something like
http://sourceware.org/pthreads-win32/ could be useful?

allan