[sane-devel] Autotools generated files and CVS

Chris Bagwell chris at cnpbagwell.com
Mon Jan 19 04:14:50 UTC 2009

On 1/18/2009 8:50 PM, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> See also, http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Files-under-CVS.html#Files-under-CVS.

Agree with all your comments... Also, here is similar link from Automake
that describes cvs issues in a little more detail.

http://sourceware.org/automake/automake.html#CVS

I'll continue down the current path of checking in updates until we are
at the automated bootstrapping point.  I guess it won't be to
conveniencing that its painfree on users to remove generated files until
it truly is pain free.

BTW, on all projects I've worked on, I've usually commited to making
sure configure.ac and Makefile.am's work with widest range of autotools
as possible; even when those tools are known buggy.  So far I've not had
much issues with supporting +/- 2 years or more worth of versions.  In
other words, keeping it pain free to a wide swath of developers.

Chris