[sane-devel] Autotools generated files and CVS

Chris Bagwell chris at cnpbagwell.com
Tue Jan 20 14:30:17 UTC 2009

Julien BLACHE wrote:
>> autofoo one has to know.  As for the amount of pain involved, I can
>> only think of the time it takes.  Julien mentions versioning issues
>> and broken deployment but I have little experience with that.
>>

> You obviously never had to work with broken libtool versions, which is
> about every libtool version until something like 3 years ago, and even
> then, there have been some pretty broken versions after that too.
>
> If going with automake means we have to put up with the maintainer
> mode crap and bootstrapping the build system after every pull, then
> thanks, but no thanks, I'm keeping the current one.
>
> JB
So I think its safe to say that you've had some sort of bad experience
with some part of the autofoo chain in the past and have settle on
current method as comfortable.  Thats more then fair enough and a reason
to stick with current approach.  This is ultimately my reason to bring
it up in first place so that I understand the developers preference.

I'd like to be clear on one point.  The issues we've discussed are
common to using any autofoo products and are a concern with or without
automake being added.   In fact, the issues I've personally experience
have never fallen in automake's areas... Issues were with either
autoconf or libtool.

You've mentioned automake maintainer mode a few times to resolve
issues... I'd like to understand the exact issue if thats possible so I
can try to resolve it up front.  Was it ultimately the well documented
issue with CVS timestamps and enablity of even running autoreconf to
generate the correct updates to various generated files when running
different versions of autotools?

My suggestion of removing generated files is based on my experience.  It
happens that in my experience it was a royal pain until I both made sure
maintainer mode was ON (the default) and removed generated files from CVS.

I suspect the other approach (checking in generated files and turning
off maintainer mode) doesn't really help solve any issues with mixed
autotools versions but isolates the issue to key people that tend to
maintain the configure and makefile frameworks.  In otherwords, the ones
that understand how to run "autoreconf --force -install" and then back
out the bad things it does.

I think for the most part, we are all agreeing on core issues.

- Libtool is a big concern and should be in CVS to reduce issues.
- Need a bootstrapping solution to recover from "autoreconf --force
--install" to aid distributions.
- Don't want to tax all developers with autofoo issues.

I don't think bootstrapping is taxing developers myself but I know
plenty of people that feel otherwise.  So we will proceed with current
approach of checking generated files in.

We may need to further explore Olaf's suggestion of defining acceptable
autotools versions to use for CVS submissions at some point.  But it
sounds like you guess haven't had much of issues with autoconf so far so
perhaps it will continue to not be a problem in the future.

Chris