[sane-devel] Backend HP4010

Pierre Willenbrock pierre at pirsoft.dnsalias.org
Wed Jan 21 21:33:33 UTC 2009

Roland Graf schrieb:
> Am Samstag, 17. Januar 2009 15:41:51 schrieben Sie:
>> Roland Graf schrieb:
>>> Hello Pierre,
>>>
>>> I'm the owner of an HP G4010, and I would collaborate with you to insert
>>> this scanner in the genesys backend.
>>>
>>> I read in the mailing lists that it is not absolutely clear whether the
>>> scanner has an GL841 or an GL843 chip. If you need an answer I can open
>>> my scanner and have a look. Over this I can do USB-Sniffing to look what
>>> does the scanner, and testing.
>>>
>>> My Programming capabilities in C medium good. In past I programmed in
>>> Pascal, Lisp, Visual Basic.
>>>
>>> Please let me know.
>> Hello Roland,
>>
>> an usb snoop usually is enough information to determine if the scanner
>> uses the usual gl84{1,2} protocol. Some tools for analysis can be found
>> here[1]. If you cannot make sense of the log, you can send it to me for
>> analysis. (Please send the log anyways, that way i can give you better
>> help. The first few MB of a scan should be enough.)
>>
>> Please take a look at the mails about the Canon LiDE 90 in the
>> sane-devel list archive[2], they should give you a good idea what needs
>> to be done to get a gl84{1,2} based scanner to work.
>>
>> Regards,
>>   Pierre
>>
>> [1] http://pirsoft-dsl-dropzone.de/
>> [2] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel
>
> Hello Pierre,
>
> for now I cannot make sense of the log so I send it to you for analysis.
>
> I send you four different versions in different scanmodes.
>
> All these versions are scans with preview and then the final scan.
>
> Thanks
>
> Best regards
>
> Roland

Hello Roland,

thanks for the logs. These have been taken with SnoopyPro, so my scripts
cannot work on them. Additionally, SnoopyPro stops working after the
first big usb-bulk-transfer, explaining the small size of the logs.

Analysis of the logs showed that the gl841/2 protocol is used. There are
register accesses beyond register 0x87, so this is definitely not an
gl841/2, but likely one of its successors, probably gl843.

For the genesys backend, this means that we need new chip specific code.
We need to modify either genesys_gl646.c or genesys_gl841.c until your
scanner works(renaming it to genesys_gl843 on that way). This can be
made easier by creating a test-program, that initializes the scanner and
then scans something. If you send a usb snoop taken with
sniffusb(referenced on [1]), i can try to create that test-program.