[sane-devel] Avision AV122 and reading the buttons gives I/O-Error

Wilhelm Meier wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de
Fri Jan 23 06:18:55 UTC 2009

Am Freitag 23 Januar 2009 schrieb Zudio Solutions:
> Hi Wilhelm,
>
> I managed to get sanebuttonsd to sort-of work by looking at the
> message options like suggested; however some things are still not
> clear:
>
> 1. In one case the type of the option (not necessarily the message
> option) was String, but the code that prints it caused a crash.

which option?

> 2. It's not completely clear what I should be looking for. What I
> can see until now is:
>
>     a.  When I get an option with a name of "message", type bool
> and non-zero value (i.e true) - the simplex button was pressed
>
>     b. When I get an option with a name of "message" and type
> button - the duplex button was pressed
>     This doesn't look to me like the proper way to do it, so I'm
> probably still missing something. It does seem to work most of the
> time..

actually my avision scanner is gone, but I remember, that the
message-option (I think it was of fixed size 129 Bytes ... look at
the avision-backend sources) contains the string as I said in the
previous mail.

> 3. Another problem - when I know that a button was pressed and want
> to scan the document - I get an error. Closing the device
>     (that was used by sanebuttonsd) before trying to scan solves
> this. Is this how it is supposed to be done?

As I remember (might be wrong), the sanebuttonsd does not immediately
close the device while polling and calling the scan-script. So the
called frontend (scanimage e.g.) can't open the device. Because I
encountered several limitations in saneuttonsd I decided to write a
new daemon (scanbd - http://sourceforge.net/projects/scanbd ).
I use it to have the possibility to scan via the scanner-buttons
(polling takes place) and using saned (the sane network daemon for
remote scanner from desktops) at the same time. With sanebuttonsd
this isn't possible! I found this a very flexible way. the scanbd can
be configured to perform different action for all combinations of
buttons and function-values and it scan manage arbitrary number of
connected scanners.

--
Wilhelm