[sane-devel] Questions and suggestions

Mattias Kregert mattias at kregert.se
Fri Jan 23 09:37:44 UTC 2009

Good morning, and thank you all for this wonderful piece of software!

I have been using sane for six years now, and recently got some new hardware and will be using saned and the net backend in the near future.
Unfortunately i have some moderately annoying problems with net/saned which i need help with, and a couple of feature requests in case you need more to do :)

- The network should be fast enough to keep up with the scanning speed, but still the scanner pauses a little between each page - as if it is waiting for data to be transferred over the network before it decides to start scanning the next page. When watching network activity, i see that data is sent in bursts with a not-so-small delay between each burst.
My completely novice assumption is that saned scans one page, sends it to the net backend, scans next page, sends next page, and so on. If this is the case; can saned instead be configured to immediately start scanning next page and queue it for transmission to the client, not waiting for the first page to complete its journey over the network?
Or is is some other problem, like saned compressing data before transmission or something? And if that is the case, can i turn it off?

- I have some sort of permission problem with saned. I have a usb scanner which can not be accessed through saned, even if i chown /proc/bus/usb/NNN/NNN to saned:saned. The only solution i found so far is to run saned as root.
When running saned -d128 nothing useful is reported, so i have no clue about what is causing this. Any ideas?

- Feature request: When looking for scanners (with scanadf -L) saned only reports scanners not currently in use. It would be nice to be able to see all attached scanners, perhaps with some indication if they are being used right now.

- Feature request: It would be nice to be able to ask a particular host about its scanners, like "scanadf --L=myscannerhost.mydomain", not having to add it to net.conf first.

- And last (and actually least): I use the fujitsu backend, but with a FI-6130 scanner i get weird colors (RGB-BGR problem). I use version 1.0.19, but perhaps this has been fixed in cvs?

Best, cheerfullest, looking-forward-to-next-relase-est regards

/Mattias