[sane-devel] Fujitsu FI-5110C vs FI-6130 (was: Kodak i1220 and Debian/Ubuntu)

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 20:54:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Janusz S. Bień <jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009  "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Strange- It appears to be a port of their windows twain driver, and i
>> see no mention of either SANE or source code. We would be unable to
>> help you with problems, and if they decide to stop supporting future
>> versions of Linux, you are stuck with a paperweight. IMHO, I would
>> avoid it like the plague.
>
> Thanks for the answer. I will follow your advice.
>
> Looking for a similar scanner available in Poland I've found Fujitsu
> FI-5110C and FI-6130.
>
> Both FI-5110C
>
>     http://www.fujitsu.com/global/services/computing/peripheral/scanners/product/fi5110c/
>
> and FI-6130
>
>    http://www.fujitsu.com/global/services/computing/peripheral/scanners/product/fi6130/
>
> are supported by the CVS version of SANE in the "complete" way. What
> does it means in practise?

I cannot speak for other backends, but for the fujitsu backend,
'complete' means every feature of the scanner that I know about is
supported by SANE. All resolutions, modes, compression, enhancement
and endorser (if you buy one) options are supported. Note that some of
these machines' 'auto' features (size, deskew, color) are really
windows software features., and I have no idea what 'Intelligent
multifeed' means.

> According to the producer, FI-6130 is not only faster then FI-5110C,
> but has also a lot of additional features. Are these features
> accessible from Linux or provided by MS Windows drivers and software?
>
> I will appreciate very much your comments and suggestions.

My former employer owns about 300 small fujitsu scanners, mostly
fi-4120C and fi-5110C. They are good machines, but the fi-6130 is head
and shoulders above. It is very fast, very quiet and extremely
resistant to jamming. Quite simply, the fi-6130 the best small
document scanner I have ever seen, and I've seen many.

allan