[sane-devel] Fujitsu FI-5110C vs FI-6130

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 00:52:54 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Giuseppe Sacco
<giuseppe at eppesuigoccas.homedns.org> wrote:
> Il giorno ven, 23/01/2009 alle 16.56 -0500, m. allan noah ha scritto:
> [...]
>> Yes- they are expensive, but worth it if you are plan to keep it for a
>> long time or do a great deal of scanning. If your needs are a little
>> less, you might be able to find the previous model (fi-5120C) around
>> on clearance or refurbished.
>> It's not as nice as the 6130, but still a nice machine.
>
> I use everyday all those scanners on windows and linux. I agree that
> fi-6130 is the best among them, then probably the two kodak scanners
> i1220 and i1210, followed by fi-5110.
> While I still prefer fujitsu to kodak, I saw kodak offering i1220 for
> about half the price of fi-6130, so this will bias any choice.

That's weird, cause the fi-6130 is slightly less expensive than the
i1220 at newegg.com, which gives about the best prices stateside.

> When you strip down the scanners, getting rid of the twain drivers or
> VRS features, fi-6130 and i1220 are very very similar. The only three
> big differences are fi-6130 is faster, fi-6130 accept ticker sheets,
> i1220 can be connect to a planar scanner A4 or A3. Small differences:
> fi-6130 is certifed for scanning plastic/embossed cards, while i1220
> isn't certified but it can scan thos cards too; fi-5110 scanner can scan
> without opening the plastic cover, while kodak scanners need the cover
> opened and hence require more space on the table.

The fujitsu also has software selectable background color (i think the
i1220 requires you to modify the hardware?), and the i1220 has a weird
rotating body that I never quite understood. They both have a
reversing roller instead of a friction pad to stop the upper sheets
IIRC?

Also- we would be remiss if we did not also suggest you look at some
of the rebranded Avision machines that might be around in your area,
Visioneer, Kodak, and Xerox all sell them.

allan