[sane-devel] scripting hooks for scanner backend

Felix Salfelder felix at salfelder.org
Sun Jan 25 21:42:10 UTC 2009

Hello list.

As some of you might have experienced, and as it is frequently
subjected, scsi scanners have to be manually added to the scsi subsystem
by invoking some scsi-add command as root before talking to the scanner
is possible. I am currently experimenting with shell-aliases and
overriding paths, to hook this routine into the various sane
executables.

Now all of this seems a bit clumsy, and brought me to the idea to simply
add scripting hooks into the sane-backend. i would think of about two
additional configuration options like "prescan-hook" and "postscan-hook"
to be added to the respective backend configuration files
/etc/sane.d/abcd.conf. Here paths executables could be set to be hooked
before a device is initialized and after is is left alone respectively.

This would not only allow a simple solution (workaround?) to the
motivating scsi-add issue. These hooks could be used for instance to
toggle the power-supply of a scanner, or open/close firewalls, when
using a network-device. This could also give a qu^H^Hdirty ad-hoc fix to
future driver/udev bugs requiring the user to, say, reload modules or
create nodes before/after scanning. I bet there are even better and
useful applications for this.

Now since the manuals don't mention something like this, I suppose it
has not been implemented yet. Would anybody find this useful? Or is
there a better/simpler approach for hooking scripts? Is there even a
clean solution for the scsi-add thing I have not considered? Does
anybody completely dislike the idea of this sort of hooking?

Regards
Felix