[sane-devel] iscan and apt dependencies

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Jan 27 01:04:42 UTC 2009

Paul Fox <pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us> writes:

> hi --
>
> i've installed the latest iscan debs to support my epson v500:
>     iscan-plugin-gt-x770_2.1.0-1_i386.deb
>     iscan_2.15.0-3_i386.deb
>
> iscan won't install normally because it depends on libltdl3,
> which isn't available on ubuntu 8.10 (which has libltdl7 installed).
>
> i also can't just install the plugin .deb, because it depends on
> the iscan .deb, which needs libltdl3.
>
> however, after forcing the install with:
>     dpkg -i --ignore-depends=libltdl3 iscan_2.15.0-3_i386.deb
> and symlinking libltdl.so.7 to libltdl.so.3, iscan and all of the
> sane front-ends work fine.
>
> so at the least, this message is a bug report against the current
> iscan dependencies.  (btw, i'm not sure i understand how this should be
> resolved.)

Eh, no.  This is a limitation on our binary packages.  Please have a
look at the KNOWN-PROBLEMS and rebuild from source.  The source's
build dependencies support building with either version of libltdl-dev
installed.

Ubuntu kindly decided there was no need for a phase out of libltdl3
and dropped it completely in favour of libltdl7.  There is at least
one package in the Ubuntu universe (multiverse?) that suffers from
the same problem.

> but now i'm not sure whether i forced the installation correctly,
> because i'm now kind of stuck (and maybe this is an apt
> question).  i can't install or upgrade anything else because apt
> thinks iscan is broken, and keeps insisting on trying to remove
> it when it performs any other action.
>
> any ideas on how to work around this?

See above.  Alternatively, you could have a look at using equivs and
create a meta-package that provides libltdl3.  There may be useful
info in the Ubuntu Forum post mentioned in the KNOWN-PROBLEMS file as
well.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962