[sane-devel] Providing the version of SANE used in VueScan

abel deuring adeuring at gmx.net
Tue Jan 27 13:01:31 UTC 2009

On 27.01.2009 07:30, Ed Hamrick wrote:
> Hi Olaf,
>
> The source you referred to is attached.  I'm happy
> to assist people with getting copies of the source
> code to the trivial parts of SANE that I used in
> VueScan.  And yes, I'm obviously capable of spending
> an hour or two stripping the sanei_scsi module
> out of VueScan - after all, VueScan does support many
> things (like infrared cleaning) on Epson scanners that
> you're incapable of supporting :)

Actually, I'd appreciate if you would remove sanei_scsi from Vuescan. I
remember a bug report from a Vuescan user a few years ago who stumbled
over a sanei_scsi bug. I could fix this bug quickly -- but the poor user
was out of luck: you wrote that you hadn't had enough time to link the
fixed sanei_scsi version into a new Vuescan release...

That was a reason why I always considered to start a discussion if Sane
shouldn't switch to the LGPL: It would allow Vuescan users to link a
fixed Sane library into Vuscan and other proprietary programs for
themselves.

> This is also an "official request" to René Rebe to
> provide the source code to avision.c that he's included
> in ExactScan 2.

Yeah -- the funny thing with this request is that it was Rene who wrote
the avision backend. So your request may be formally valid, but,
frankly, it looks a bit weird.

Abel