[sane-devel] Choosing a scanner with complete support

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Jul 2 07:52:22 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Jul 1 22:52 Leslie Jensen wrote (shortened):
> Well; because I'm using FreeBSD (7.2-RELEASE) the third party driver the 4490
> required was not an option so eventually I sold the 4490 again.
>
> I now need advise on how to choose a scanner with "complete" support. I
> mainly need to scan simple documents and photoes.
>
> The newer Epson models "only" has "good" support and I think I need the
> scanner to have complete support.

I cannot recommend a particular model.
Nevertheless some general information which might hopefully help a bit:

Regarding Epson scanners which require a proprietary driver, see
http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html#S-EPKOWA
and don't buy a model which "requires DFSG non-free" whatever stuff.

Find out which sane-backends version your FreeBSD (7.2-RELEASE) has.

Then go to
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html
and there to "Old SANE Versions" to get a list of supported
models which work for your sane-backends version.

Unfortunately scanners which are listed there may be no longer
for sale and then the tricky part begins - i.e. you must somehow
(I don't know how) try to find out which currently buyable model
might also work with your sane-backends version...

Regarding "good" versus "complete" support, see the "Legend"
at those lists which read:
"basic" means it works at least in the most important modes
but quality is not perfect.

"good" means the device is usable for day-to-day work.
Some rather exotic features may be missing.

"complete" means the backends supports everything the device can do.

For the use-case which you described "good" should be "good enough".

It is even possible that a "good" supported scanner works
better than a "complete" supported scanner.

E.g.:

Assume an ACME Funscanner 300 can scan only up to 300 dpi
and has no additional features like an automated documet feeder (ADF)
and the SANE driver suppports scanning up to 300 dpi
then the ACME Funscanner 300 is a "complete" supported scanner.

Assume an ACME Funscanner 600 can scan up to 600 dpi
and has an ADF as additional feature
and the SANE driver suppports scanning up to 600 dpi
but the ADF is not supported
then the ACME Funscanner 600 is only a "good" supported scanner.

Assume an ACME Funscanner 1200 can scan up to 1200 dpi
and has an ADF as additional feature
and the SANE driver suppports scanning but only up to 600 dpi
and the ADF is also supported
then the ACME Funscanner 1200 is also only a "good" supported scanner.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex