[sane-devel] Brother Scanner Entry 55-libsane.rules (openSUSE 11.1)

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Wed Jul 22 11:19:39 UTC 2009

Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:

> But in particular to get good results with limited resources
> and/or when not having sufficiently competent people on board,

The less resources you have, the more competent they should be...

> it looks more than reasonable at least for me to simply ask
> the SANE developers and/or the Linux distributors.

Naaaaah, releasing the specs would be waaaaay too easy, come on!

>>> and never ever get the great new idea to simply ask
>>> the SANE developers and/or the well known persons at the
>>> Linux distributors who work regading "scanners".
>>
>> And that last part about asking /may/ have some cultural implications.
>
> I think this is actually the root cause.
> From my point of view this means that they must have
> some kind of company policy that somehow forbids to ask
> (probably not an explicitely written ban).

I wasn't focusing on corporate issues here, but it's also valid.

> The good news is that this makes it clear for end-users
> which manufacturers they can choose when they like to buy
> a scanner or all-in-one device with Linux support.

Yeah, it's really simple. Pick any device supported by SANE for which
the manufacturer does not try to provide a driver.

Because when they do, it's crap, either proprietary crap or opensource
crap. (*cough* hplip *cough*)

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>