[sane-devel] sane_get_devices() questions

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Mon Jun 1 19:22:30 UTC 2009

On Monday 01 June 2009 00:58:41 m. allan noah wrote:
> there was a bug in sanei_usb which prevented sane from discovering
> newly added scanners. This was fixed in 1.0.20. Unfortunately, some
> backends only ask the system for a list of scanners during
> sane_init(). I fixed mine, but I bet other backends are still broken
> in this regard. Which backend/scanner is this?

libsane 1.0.19-23ubuntu7 and  Epson Stylus RX500 (epson).

I did also enable/disable the test backend in dll.conf, with the same result.

I'll try it again with 1.0.20 as the situation should be better there (as Olaf
mentioned), but I guess I will work around it, by calling sane_exit/sane_init
if sane_open hasn't been called yet.

What can be done to fix the underlying problem? Do you see it as a problem that
will go away with time, or should I be prepared to keep the workaround
indefinitely? Most frontends only scan for scanners at startup.

Thanks for the answers :)
  Kåre