[sane-devel] ICC support - summing up

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 19:27:32 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Yiannis Belias<jonnyb at hol.gr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Julien BLACHE wrote
>> The counterpart to saned is the net backend, which is usually used
>> through the dll backend. Both only implement the SANE API and only
>> provide the SANE API calls.
>>
>> Now, where does your get_icc_profile() fit in there? Right, it
>> doesn't.
>>
>> JB.
>

> :) Actually I was hoping that saned could implement an extra function call
> without the need for the dll or even (maybe) the net backend to be aware of it.
> I understand that this would brake the api for the network part.
> If that won't happen, do you see any other way of getting a remote profile
> without having to update every backend to a new version of the sane api?

the sane protocol is designed such that you could layer 'meta'
backends between the real backend and the front-end. I suppose you
could write such a meta backend, add a new frametype for ICC data, and
have the meta backend return the profile as an 'image'. But, that
seems like a bit of a stretch of the API, and there is also not a good
way for your meta backend to dynamically squeeze itself into the
dll->backend chain.

allan