[sane-devel] ICC support - summing up

Yiannis Belias jonnyb at hol.gr
Tue Jun 9 08:28:29 UTC 2009

Julien BLACHE wrote
> > 	if it wasn't for the API, wouldn't be the backend the best place to know
> > about a scanning device ICC profile ?
>
> AFAICT Oyranos works with a central repository of ICC profiles.
>
> So, no.
>
> JB.

m. allan noah wrote
> That depends- just what is IN one of these profiles? How is it generated?
>
>allan

Hi,
  Every imaging device has it's own personality. When one "sees" (255,0,0) the
other may "see" (250,3,15) and so on. On top of that each user has their own
preferences on calibration (brightness/gama/etc). So in order to scan the same
image with different scanners and get the same result, an ICC profile has to
be created that is unique for each scanner & settings. This profile is created
by the user by scanning a known reference target and then using a program
like lprof, or argyllcms[1]. In the profile lies a color transformation that maps
the machine dependent color to a (universally) known reference color space known
as the PCS (Profile Connection Space).
  Every installation of Oyranos comes with a few standard profiles. The user is
responsible to add the profile for each local (input/output) device to the Oyranos database.
So, Oyranos acts as a central repository of profiles, for that particular machine -
each application using a device asks Oyranos for the relevant profile.

I hope I'm answering your questions, if not, please let me know,
Yiannis

PS. I also made a change to the SANE diagram to be more correct
http://orion.freehost.gr/current-sane-workflow
but I'm not sure how to be that descriptive.

[1] In other OSes, you will probably get icc profiles on a cd by the manufacturer,
but these seem to be dependent on the manufacturer driver/software stack.