[sane-devel] SANE frozen in amber ?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 19:08:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Alessandro
Zummo<azummo-lists at towertech.it> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:54:32 -0400
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >  exactly ;) I hate having to cache the device.
>>
>> We can certainly open the API up for changes, but whoever wants to see
>> the change had better be prepared to go into every backend and add the
>> code...
>
>  a backend might choice to implement it or not. such an info is
>  useful but shouldn't be mandatory.

bah- then no front-end will use it, since it is not guaranteed to be
there. So, they will still cache the data from sane_find_scanners,
effectively increasing the amount of code on both sides of the API.

Variability of backends (particularly in option handling) is by far
the biggest impediment to using sane, and I would prefer that we
improved the situation, rather than exacerbated it.

allan