[sane-devel] API addition request

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 16:54:44 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Alessandro
Zummo<azummo-lists at towertech.it> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:58:03 -0400
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >  If we have decided to break for sane 2, it might be worthwhile
>> >  to do that in such a way to avoid troubles in the future.
>>

>> but this does not avoid troubles, it just pushes them out to the front-end
>> developer, forcing him to have multiple branches in his code to deal with
>> all the variations. I would much prefer to have the major number of the
>> backend be a contract with the front-end author. If that means we have to
>> leave some unmaintained backends behind, so be it.
>
>  So you force it to either switch or to maintain two trees.

Julien's idea is precisely not to maintain two trees, but rather to
abandon ancient code. Every other project I have ever been involved
with has some mechanism to remove old stuff. Sane should be no
different.

>  Oh well, I do not agree, but.. so be it.
>
>  I'd love to have the media type anyway ;)

And you can get it, along with things that other people want, as long
as we are realistic about our capabilites, and we keep the front-end
author's job as easy as possible.

allan