[sane-devel] API addition request

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 00:04:15 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Jeffrey Ratcliffe <
jeffrey.ratcliffe at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/6/20 m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com>:
> > But, back to Jeffrey's request- is it enough to know ADF or not and
> Duplex
> > or not in the params struct, or do you need to know that sooner? Also, it
> > would be good to know which side of the duplex scan this is...
>
> For me, it is all about predicting the page numbering. For a flatbed,
> you only want to scan one image, and for any more than that, provide a
> delay or a prompt giving the user time to change sheets. Scanning
> double-sided sheets from a non-duplex ADF require the page numbering
> to be inc/decremented by 2.

unless the pages are single sided prints. it would seem that only the user
could know that information, so it is probably a good idea to ask them
instead of the backend...

It would be better for the frontend to know this sooner than the param
> struct, as that way you can only offer the options that are currently
> possible.

agreed.

> I assume, though, that this would require all options to be
> reloaded. If this is a problem, getting the information in the param
> struct would certainly be better that then current situation.

Well, if we dont use params, our only choice with the current API is more
well-known options. One advantage of moving maintained backends to a new
package would be the possibility of regularizing/requiring such options...

allan