[sane-devel] no backend news since early 2008?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 12:54:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Halim Issa <yallaone at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to research before buying a new scanner which is best supported by SANE. Having searched both the stable (1.0.19) and cvs-version (based on the web manufacturer/backend search), haven't found any updates or news for more than 12 months, leading me to believe I am searching the wrong places.

yes, i think you are searching the wrong places. the mailing list you
are now posting to has been relatively active for the past year,
several new backends have been added, and many of them have been
updated.

> Furthermore, based on the two above searches, I have been unable to find any scanner currently on sale in Norway, Sweden and Denmark that is currently supported by SANE and within a reasonable price range (ie not above $500).
>
> Am I searching the wrong places, or has something changed preventing new scanners to be supported by upcoming versions of sane?
>
> any insight or pointers to a faq i have missed would be greatly appreciated!

you might want to tell us what features you are looking for in a
scanner, then maybe someone can think of a machine. You also might
want to list some of the models you like from your local vendors, and
ask if anyone is working on sane support for those.

allan